Long Term Results
So here’s the thing.
About 5 years ago I was working with a firm that mailed between 60,000 and 100,000 packages monthly to Canadians. When I first looked at their data, I was a little startled, as their average gift was hovering around the $10 – $15 mark. In my experience that is pretty low. But on the up side, they were churning thousands of dollars through the cycle because their offer was low and compelling and people wanted to help. The challenge? Donors were not growing. The results of every package were more closely resembled the data of an acquisition package, not a cultivation package.
A new study by the AFP US shows the startling metrics of focusing on package results rather than cultivating long term relationships with donors.
Make no mistake. Acquiring new donors is an extremely important element of your overall strategic plan — but increased revenue is a result of donor cultivation.
One of the first questions I ask all new clients is: “What is your second gift strategy?”
I have to say, I’m pretty surprised at the number of people who do not have a strategy. The have a Direct Mail strategy. And when a new donor comes along, they are inserted into that strategy. That means: their name is entered into the data base and included in the monthly pulls. After 18 months it will be dropped because they have not given a second gift.
But why haven’t they given a second gift?
Unravel that and you will completely change your revenue generation.
As competitive environments in the non-profit segment grow tougher, brand is going to get more important. I know that the traditional direct mail people don’t believe that. But that’s because they are PACKAGE results oriented and not donor development results oriented. The smart non-profit team looks at both, establishing metrics for long-term donors that are relevant.
The client above? They are struggling today. Increased mail costs, aging donors, changes in the trends have been real challenges. But the biggest challenge? Their donors gave to a compelling ask that came their way on a regular basis. They did not give because of a loyal, long-term relationship with the organization. It’s more complex than a 250 word blog, but authentic, relevant and timely engagement with donors builds a strong and loyal donor base.
Full Time Intermediate Graphic Designer
Barefoot Creative is a communications and marketing boutique, focusing on brand development, non-profit marketing, business-to-business communications and interactive solutions.
Graphic Design: Design and create print materials
Web Design: User interface design for web and mobile
- At least 4 year of previous graphic design experience in print and interactive media
- Diploma/Degree in Graphic Design or equivalent
- Excellent working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong layout skills
- Strong experience in logo and ID systems
- Illustration skills for occasional projects and support graphics
- Ability to replicate simple layouts in Word and PowerPoint
- Critical thinker able to troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Knowledge of iOS, Android and Windows environments
- Keen understanding of Social Media
- UI/UX skills would be considered an asset
- Previous web experience using HTML, CSS, and Wordpress would also be considered an asset
- Experience in developing emails in HTML
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Well informed in graphics/UI/UX trends
- Work effectively with minimal supervision in a team environment
- Must be motivated and work well as a team player
- Strong layout and graphic design skills
- Driven, hardworking, detail oriented and flexible
- Ability to keep accurate internal records/notes and track projects
- Great taste
TECHNICAL SKILLS CS6 Design Suite (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) in a Mac environment, WordPress and Social Media. Some HTML, CSS, experience is a plus.
- High degree of initiative, organization and time management skills with a strong attention to detail
- Strong written and oral skills
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude, flexible and motivated to be successful
- Conceptual thinker
- Team Player
Barefoot is a small but growing Advertising Agency/Marketing firm with a special focus on the Not-For-Profit sector. We're laid back, we like balance and enjoy doing great work for some pretty special clients. If you want to do what you love and make the world a better place, you may want to drop us a note.
With the naked simplicity of advertising,
we are committed to tell the truth
to people who need to know
in places they frequent
in ways that meet the client's goals.